John Kendrick's Photo Gallery

Home / Albums /

34 The Limekilns

K3__1279_EasyHDR3_bt_1024.jpg 33 The Workers' Institute & CafeThumbnails34092 &7507833 The Workers' Institute & CafeThumbnails34092 &7507833 The Workers' Institute & CafeThumbnails34092 &7507833 The Workers' Institute & CafeThumbnails34092 &7507833 The Workers' Institute & CafeThumbnails34092 &7507833 The Workers' Institute & CafeThumbnails34092 &75078

The Limekilns
The kilns were built in 1842 and were in use until about 1926, burning limestone excavated from nearby Castle Hill and Wren’s Nest. Twenty-eight feet high chimneys topped the shafts of the kilns and belched out smoke and fumes continuously.

Author
John Kendrick
Created
Tags
Visits
1152
Miscellaneous
Who can see this photo?