John Kendrick's Photo Gallery

Home / Albums /

6.099a Ventnor, Isle of Wight

Scan-130829-0014_6-099a+wm+bdr_1000w.jpg 6.098b OnionsThumbnails6.100 Godshill Church, Isle Of Wight6.098b OnionsThumbnails6.100 Godshill Church, Isle Of Wight6.098b OnionsThumbnails6.100 Godshill Church, Isle Of Wight6.098b OnionsThumbnails6.100 Godshill Church, Isle Of Wight6.098b OnionsThumbnails6.100 Godshill Church, Isle Of Wight


Ventnor, Isle of Wight

Ventnor 'New Royal Victoria Pier', designed by Basil Phelps, was opened on 28th May 1955 having been rebuilt after an earlier pier had been condemned.  Unfortunately by 1981, £750,000 was needed for repairs and a fire further damaged the structure in 1985. In 1988 the council agreed to transfer ownership to Ventnor Town Trust  with South Wight Council promising £250,000 of the £800,000 needed for the repairs, but the Trust could not generate the balance and the pier was demolished in 1992/3. The picture here was taken in 1977.


Author
John Kendrick
Created
Visits
2288
Miscellaneous
Who can see this photo?