John Kendrick's Photo Gallery

Home / Albums /

Duchess of Sutherland departing Scarborough August 2009

CIMG0448_edited-1_bt_1000.jpg DSCF0226ThumbnailsDudley CanalDSCF0226ThumbnailsDudley CanalDSCF0226ThumbnailsDudley CanalDSCF0226ThumbnailsDudley CanalDSCF0226ThumbnailsDudley Canal

Duchess of Sutherland departing Scarborough August 2009.

46233 'Duchess of Sutherland' is a Princess Coronation Class 4-6-2 "Pacific" type steam locomotive built in 1938 by Crewe Works for the London Midland and Scottish Railway.

The signal gantry was built for the NER by McKenzie and Holland in 1911 (as recorded on its maker’s plate.) It is not known where it was originally installed, but it was relocated to this location in 1934 to replace an earlier gantry, It was one of seven gantries on the approach to Scarborough station at that time. The Gantry has had a Grade II listing since 1990 as it is considered a rare survivor of once very common structures across the national rail network. It was relocated to Grosmont Station in 2012.

Author
John Kendrick
Created
Location
View on OpenStreetMap
Visits
2298
Miscellaneous
Who can see this photo?